Sunday 16 March 2008

What I write here for

The purpose of this blog is to discuss Philosophy in the widest possible sense from my own perspective including that, well, I am Moslem. I am not a professional philosopher and I have no training in humanities. Yet, following the example of the ancient Sages, I think of Philosophy as belonging to the streets; and what is more street-like these days than the Web!

The word "Al-Madinah" in Arabic means "the City" and when used without qualification refers to the City of the Prophet. For a Moslem, the name "Al-Madinah" does not represent a geographical location, it represents a moment in time when the philosopher's Utopia was achieved on Earth. For a Moselm, "Al-Madinah" is the reference society. It is to Al-Madinah that Moslems turn for answers.

My purpose is not to expound religious views, or to show the superiority of Islam. I am more interested in understanding modern debates and bringing Islamic percepts to bear on contemporary issues. I am equally interested in questioning Islamic percepts by bringing modern tools (e.g., game theory, rational decision) to bear on the body of Islamic knowledge.

Finally, I quote the Blind Poet:

Life, Death, and the expectation of Resurrection
Three that have taught us a thousand thought.

No comments: